Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snowy days...

I am beginning to understand why when a "Maine-er" told me once the snow comes - it usually stays - really did know what they are talking about!  Snow to us is really no big shocker.  Afterall, we have lived in Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Indiana, a bit in California, and even Missouri (me).  So basically, everywhere we have lived has had snow in the winter...with the exception of our two winters in Arizona.  While in Arizona, we drove the about 3-4 hours to the mountains by Flagstaff just to go sledding and let the kids play for a while.  That was last year (2010) on New Year's Day.  The kids are enjoying having LOTS of snow to play in this year - all in our own yard!  I am liking that we have a little hill in the front yard that they can sled on so I don't have to actually take them somewhere else to sled and can sit inside and watch them have fun.  I know - lazy me!  So far, so good though!

Chloe and Parker excitedly watching the first snow flurries of the winter season back in November.  Chloe is on the phone with Grandma Clay telling her all about it!  They were bummed when it stopped snowing shortly after it started!
 I love how Mr. Parker adores his big sis!
The first real snowfall back in December before Christmas.  They were SO excited to go shovel on the back porch!
Off we went to the backyard for more digging and even swinging!  Who says swingsets are only for the summer-time!  Parker's little sideways smile makes me smile!
Little puppy dog eyes! 
Beautiful girl!
Parker laid down and said, "The snow is comfortable!"
The after-Christmas blizzard - on December 27th.  Chris worked for a few months to rebuild an old snow blower he bought from some guy.  After the first swatch down the driveway, the blower decided to blow up!  Literally!  The engine blew up inside itself!
Poor Chris!  All his hard work!  Needless to say, he was not very happy!  (and was quite cold too!)
Zach, with a little bit of Chloe's help, made 2 snowcaves / forts after that big post-Christmas blizzard.  We got about a foot of snow from that storm and the kids were in heaven!
Zach is such a good big brother!  Chloe and Parker LOVE to play with him and he takes such good care of him.  I love that I can (sometimes) just send the little kids out in the yard with Zach and know that he will be responsible enough to help them out and play with them.  It is amazing to me how being outdoors can tame so many sibling fights!  They love it and feel so cool being able to be outside with their awesome Zach!!
Going down our frontyard hill!
Zach has taught Chloe how to do it all by herself now and she has gotten pretty fearless with it.  She loves to be big like Zach and zoom fast down the hill.  It keeps getting higher and higher with every new snowfall! 
About 7 neighborhood boys came over to play after Zach got his snowcaves / forts built.  They sled down the hill for a while and then separated into teams and had a snowball fight. 
Chloe was the youngest one out there and was the only girl.  At first I was a little worried for my little girl out there with a bunch of boys chucking snow back and forth.  I called her over to the front door and asked her if she wanted to come in while they played.  She wouldn't hear of it and went right back out to join in the fight!  I guess she is learning how life will be having 3 brothers to deal with!  I really think that is a big reason why she has such a fiesty attitude - to hold her own against all these boys in our house!!!
After hours of playing in the snow, they LOVE to come in and have a nice warm cup of hot chocolate!  YUM!


1 comment:

Brittany said...

Looks like you guys are having lots of fun in the snow, and I am sure it's great to have your own sledding hill in your yard. Poor Chris! He was so excited about that snow blower.