Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hope's Power....

About 3 months after Karleigh passed away, Chris and I found out we were pregnant with our cute Chloe. We were thrilled with the news, as we had been wanting another baby for a while and hadn't had much success. As I look back over the timing in which Chloe came into our home, it is so apparent to me why we needed to wait a bit longer than our human eyes understood. As the hormones began raging and the grief of loosing Karleigh seemed almost unbarable at times, I struggled with trying to sort out all the different feelings I was having. Would this baby replace Karleigh? Would Karleigh be sad that I was not always thinking about her? Would I be able to love this baby like I loved Karleigh and Zach? Would I be able to care for this new baby with all the saddness I felt? I felt SO lost, so hopeless and so sad.
We couldn't decide on a name for Chloe. We always gather a bunch of names and then once we see our little ones in person, then we can decide who they look like. I distinctly remember though that I knew her middle name was supposed to be Hope. I talked to Chris about it, and he agreed. I didn't know why. I didn't know even all the definitions and meanings of the word Hope. But I knew that even though I couldn't understand how it was possible at the time, that this new little baby growing inside of me would bring my family and I, Hope.
I have had different definitions of the word Hope that have all sounded and felt like they could be "the answer" to describing how this little Chloe Hope could change our hearts and bring the needed healing into our home. It was no accident that she was born when she was. It was no accident that her middle name is Hope. I have often said that she came with a big load to carry right from the very beginning - to help her mom, dad and brother heal. But she has done it beautifully and flawlessly. In conference, President Uchtdorf, gave a fabulous talk on Hope. It touched me deeply and finally I had words to describe what I have been feeling about Chloe's name. I am grateful everyday for all of my children. They have all taught me so much and I love them and my wonderful husband more than anything in this world. But for today, I want to remember and record why Hope is such a fitting name for my girl. "Hope has the power to fill our lives with Happiness. Hope sustains us through despair. Hope teaches that there is reason to rejoice even when all seems dark around us. No matter how bleak the chapter of our lives may look today, because of the life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, we may hope and be assured that the ending of the book of our lives will exceed our grandest expectations. ....Never give in. Never surrender. Never allow despair to overcome your spirit. For the love of the Son of God pierces all darkness, softens all sorrow, and gladdens every heart." - President Uchtdorf


My Chloe Hope gladdens my heart every day. She has definetely brought HOPE back into our home and into our lives. I am grateful that she was sent to our family.


Watch this 2 minute video on YouTube. It is worth 2 minutes of your time today. (I can't figure out how to just copy the video on to my blog. Any advice?)

4 comments:

Saunja said...

Hope is definitely power. I'm so grateful you have your beautiful little girl Chloe Hope. I loved that quote by Elder Uchtdorf.

Meacham Family said...

What a beautiful tribute to Chloe! She certainly has lived up to her name!

Jen said...

If you copy the "embed" link to the side, and then paste it in your blog (with the "html" tab selected at the top of your blog editer, not the default "compose") it will put the video in the actual blog. If that makes sense. Thanks for the great post. I just woke up and I still need to watch conference.

Pini said...

I love this post. Hope is a powerful word indeed.