"Becoming a Doctor"
By: Joy Clay
(2007)
(2007)
April 14, 2005 was the day my life turned around. I got ready for school, but I had already missed the bus. My mom was going to take me and she was almost ready to go. As I walked down the stairs the phone rang and my mom answered it. A few seconds later I saw her tear up. A few more seconds later I heard her say, "Poor little girl." As soon as she said those three words I knew something was wrong.
A couple more minutes later she hung up the phone and with tears in her eyes she said, "Karleigh is having a hard time breathing and she's having seizures. They had to bring a helicopter to get her because an ambulance would take to long." I started to cry. A rush of sadness just fell over me. I was scared and I didn't want to go to school.
My mom drove me to school and she told me that if I couldn't handle it any more she would pick me up. I walked into my classroom crying and my teacher told me to go to the school counselor. I couldn't stop the tears from coming out of my eyes. My school counselor was very kind and she helped me be happier.
A little while later, the school counselor asked me if I wanted to call my mom and see how Karliegh was doing. I called her expecting a positive answer and she said, "Not to well." I had a melt down again. I don't think I've ever cried as much as I did that day. I decided that I could go to gym class. A couple mintues into class the office called and said, "Will you please send Joy Clay to the office."
I left class and when I entered the office I saw my mom crying. She gave me a long hug and said, "Karleigh died." I remember being so sad but not being able to cry because I had already cried all my tears out. We walked to the car where my two brothers waited, crying.
The next morning we got on an airplane and went to Colorado. A couple days later we had the funeral. I remember falling apart when I saw her in her casket. I never though that this would happen to me.
After the funeral I decided that when I grow up, I would become a doctor that works with the disabled children like Karleigh. Karleigh is the person that inspires me to pursue my dream job.
7 comments:
Good job, Joy.
What an amazing sister you have!
Oh my goodness. What a wonderful little sister! I hope she realizes her dream because she is just the type that would really help other children/parents, having tasted a portion of grief herself. I hope she does not let anything in her way of becoming a DR. Reading this and seeing it through her eyes was special and I too teared up.
Love you Tracy!
Tracy. Hi! It's so crazy that I came across your blog. Remember me from Folsom? Oh my goodness, you were pregnant with Karleigh when you moved. I remember Gina telling me that she wasn't doing well and I've always wondered how she was doing. I am so sorry you had to go through the death of one of your children. So sad, makes me cry. I can't even imagine. HUGS --Rachelle Telford--
Oh, and by the way, the Pfeil family is in my ward in Texas. Small world. :)
Hey Rachelle! If you read this, send me your email address! Thanks for your note! Hope your doing well.
I remember that day... when my mom called me and told me what happened. She was such an amazing and special little girl and I know the Lord knew you and Chris were the special parents to bring her to the earth for her time here. Thank you for sharing your sister's memories. Hope things are well with all of you! I love seeing the updated pictures of the family. Lots of Love, Aimee
Post a Comment